Monday, June 16, 2008

Public Holiday Monday...

Procrastination Monday would be a more correct way to refer to what I've achieved today. My husband is working today of all days and so I have set myself the task of creating one Emmiline apron today. Not quite ready for the mental gymnastics that is apron-pattern-figuring-out.

So I've watched "BEE MOVIE" and had a couple of cups of tea with my super-dooooper amazing breakfast rusks I baked from a recipe I found online through FunkyMunky (I posted the link out of courtesy, but I warn you: Don't go there! you may be hypnotised back to the 80's by an overdose of comic sans, bad photoshop skills and cheesy animated gifs. You know what I'm talking about.)

Breakfast rusks

230 g margarine
400 g sugar
3 extra-large eggs
50 ml peanut butter
5 ml vanilla essence
10 ml bicarbonate of soda
250 ml milk
240 g cake flour
10 ml baking powder
pinch of salt
160 g coconut
160 g oats
120 g breakfast cereal flakes
50 g peanuts, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF). Grease one 37 x 13 x 10 cm loaf tin with margarine. Cream the margarine and sugar together. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Add the peanut butter and vanilla essence and mix well. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk and add Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the remaining ingredients, mix and add to the margarine mixture. Blend. (Add a little more milk if the dough is too dry.) Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about one hour or until a testing skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the rusk mixture. Cool, slice into fingers and dry at 100 ºC (200 ºF). Makes about 40 rusks.

I mucked with the recipe a bit. Added tons of sunflower seeds, linseeds and sesame seeds...half a cup of oat bran (its REALLY good for you) as well as other roasted seeds I found containing pumpkin seeds and such. Oh! and I put in raisins as well. I LOVE how raisins go when they are baked!....these rusks are the perfect balance between crunchy and chewy. And they're easy to make :)

Procrastination time is over. Got to get into doing something more constructive.

No comments: