Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cape Flats

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after living in Cape Town for the last 6 or so years, I had not known that the Cape Flats is actually a MASSIVE expanse of housing & industry consisting of many areas that I have heard of before (and not a group of high rise accommodation flats in Zonnebloem area). The subject hadn't really come up (probably because I don't watch news/read papers)...I had had no reason to go there...and it hadn't occured to me to enquire further when the Cape Flats was mentioned for the first 2 reasons.

On Sunday I went with Elaine on a very unexpected journey to Philippi to visit Pete at the animation workshop he was facilitating. It was amazing to see washing on lines all over the place, people braaing on the main road and cows at a major intersection.


We also saw some amazing signage...and a place where you can have your hair cut & phone for an abortion.


The place that we went to was quite amazing...it is an ex-cement factory. Elaine and I had some fun walking around and taking some pictures of the place...and our shaddows :)


The trip was a good reminder that we do actually live in Africa - with all its quirky African 3rd world-ness.

No comments: