Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Jack Parow

About 7 years ago, my brother came to wake me up at midnight (I was sleeping on the sleeper couch for 2 months between places) to watch what I can only describe as a phenomenon: 3 beer bellied Afrikaans guys at the side of a dam with a tree...skinny slutty looking girls walking around looking "koel" & posing all over the guys & next to a Ford Cortina... the worst kind of Afrikaans lyrics (and Afrikaans can be DIRTY!) being rapped out of the guys' mouths...It was freakin' hilarious.

I was with a group of people a short while back who were talking about this 'new' form of Afrikaans rap - a sub-culture of people doing really South African, "bad taste" but really cool music with ridiculous music video personas.

We had a pizza evening with Pete & Elaine tonight. They always have something amazing to show & tell.... & tonight, they introduced us to Jack Parow.

(I think that Jack Parow is a great example of this "sub-culture")

You have to understand 'South African' to get this & its worth every bit of bandwidth!



(Hey T: Jy's dink jy's cooler as ekke: want jy ry in 'n Peugeot 206!)

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Hi, I missed some bits so I found the lyrics to read here ...
http://www.watkykjy.co.za/2010/01/cooler-as-ekke-se-lyrics/

Gina Ross said...

Hey! YAY!! how cool :)