Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Ouma's Needles

The best package I have received in a long time....


The story:
My Ouma was a compulsive knitter! ...we used to joke that she wouldn't need to wear gloves to perform a robbery because she had no fingerprints left on some of her fingers. She had 'knitted them off'! I've Googled this and it doesn't seem to have happened to other people -- or at least they haven't posted anything about it online! (We discovered that her fingerprints were missing when she went to renew her drivers licence one year! )

Some of my first clothes were knitted by my Ouma (who was one of the first people to hold me when I was born)...I remember FREEZING Beaufort West evenings with the smell of the paraffin heater & the click of Ouma's knitting needles working their latest creation... Tea always brewing through the day -- sitting around her kitchen table hoping she would offer us the 'secret tin' (a tin which contained a wonderful selection of delights of which we were only allowed to choose one, once a day!)....and always the balls of wool and the wonderfully colourful selection of knitting needles.

I've been doing so much knitting -- and it feels as though my Ouma is with me in a very special place in my heart & thoughts when I knit. I've been missing her terribly (she passed away a number of years ago)...

About 2 weeks ago I asked my mother whatever happened to my Ouma's knitting needles....and as it turned out, they were passed on to my aunt...who, when contacted, turned out not to be knitting much & happy to send me Ouma's needles!

And so, they arrived with my Mom & Dad on Friday! They look amazing in my 'Needle Keeper' & I am happy to report I have used 3 pairs already! :)

.

No comments: