Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"talk to the hand"

My cousin, Kim, got married on Saturday to the loveliest guy - Raj. The wedding was a splash of exuberant celebrations which began with a Mehndi - or 'Henna' party at VillaLara - an incredible villa, right down at the bottom parking area at Sandy Bay. I borrowed a bright pink sari from Eva to wear to the occasion (I actually had a real live Indian lady compliment me on the way I'd tied it!!)

Miss Molly was asked to make Mehndi inspired cupcakes - I will post the pictures of these when I get them from T'Neal...they really turned out well :)

The tradition, evidently, is that the bride's hands and feet would be decorated with henna 2 days before her wedding (the dye shows up brightest after 2 days) and her family & friends would inspect her henna on the bridal couple's return from honneymoon to make sure that it was all as perfect as when she left - in other words: no dishes - no housework...just pure luxuary!

The image above was taken soon after the paste was applied - the image at the bottom was taken on day 2 after the Mehndi party. I had to walk around for at least 4 hours without disturbing the paste...quite difficult balancing indian curry buffet & my drink without disturbing the paste.

We came to the conclusion that this is where the phrase & expression "talk to the hand" must have come from. :)

1 comment:

G.AruljothiKarikalan said...

nice try and good design