Monday, June 20, 2011

View from the Top

I just LOVE the things I find on Pinterest & around the internet... I am so happy with the boards I've set up as far as categories go so I have decided to start introducing some of my favorites on my blog :)

My board of the day is:
Click HERE to view this board.
and my pin of the day comes from that board:



The source of this photograph's post before Pinterest is here... To re-quote from Airline: Identity, Design and Culture by Keith Lovegrove.“In stark contrast (often to the point of prudishness) shown by most airlines to that date, in 1973 Southwest Airlines threw caution to the winds with its stewardess uniform. ‘The girls must be able to wear kinky leather boots and hot pants or they don’t get the job,’ said the airline’s male bosses.”

Stan and I were living with T'Neal (and quite frankly driving her mad I think). One night she gave us some of her hard saved money & sent us off to movies so that she could have the flat to herself. We decided to see View From The Top & enjoyed it so much! ( I've seen it a few times since! Plus I just love Gwyneth Paltrow! )

A clear distinction is made in 'class' in the movie & the uniforms that the air hostesses wear play a big role in defining the kind of airline the girls are employed by - from the colour and design through to the type of fabric used - and the ultimate: "First Class International" - and in particular: New York > Paris the coveted job destination (and uniform) for our leading lady!



The irony of the situation is that people used to 'dress for flights', and yet the hostesses were dressed provocatively! 

In this day and age, one never sees air hostesses that aren't beautifully presented -- I just cannot imagine a professional airline such as Emirates with air hostesses dressed in any other way but in their smart red and tan outfits! :

No comments: