Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The big Q


Having a change of surname is not a fun task.

Why is it that wherever we go we are subject to Queue's?

Why is it that there are not more bank people who know how to shift from station to station depending on the need. Do they only learn how to work at one post? People who work in banks seem to have a lot of breaks and I always see them walking off with their handbag, JUST before I am going to be next in line. It is a cruel joke of the universe. It would be nice if someone could please enlighten me on this matter so that I can reduce my frustrations and be more patient.

I usually have to go to customer services (internet banking doesn't cover this one). That is where one always gets to be in the shortest queue with the longest waiting time. Or the longest queue with an even longer waiting time. And they only usually have 2 consultants. The ratio is, on average, 5 customers waiting to every 1 consultant. The foreign exchange lady does nothing but file her nails and smile at the waiting queue every now and then. I can't quite figure out if she feels sorry for us or whether she's laughing because she's not going to do anything about it and gets to file her nails instead..

I would find it really hard being stared at expectantly by the entire queue whilst trying to do my job (if I was a bank customer services consultant)...each person in the queue wondering --
'will it be customer services consultant number one....or will it be customer services consultant number two?'
Or perhaps, part of their training is 'Module 28: Ignoring the Queue'.

I had to wait in 2 queues in the bank. Two. They went and gave me a world cup soccor bank card with my maiden name emblasoned on the front when I specifically requested a silver card with my married name. I made her cut it up. Now I have to do it again. ....
  • I spent 45 mins on the phone for this 2 months ago and stood in a queue for about 3/4 hour to give them my marriage certificate.
  • I just got my new ID book. I had to queue 3 times for that....(Application, Temp. collection, ID collection).
  • (I still have to go and change my Passport.)
  • Spent an hour in the traffic department queue for my new driver's licence card with my shiney new surname...(I have to go back and queue to collect it).
  • This is the bullet point for all the ones I've forgotten about. There are bound to be some.
  • Now I have the task of changing everything to my married name.
I must say in defense of my new name that it is a lot simpler than my maiden name was. In the end, I get to have a new signature and a name that, I am proud to think, sounds like a movie star's. It sounds famous. I really like it...

I am confident that when my name has earned its keep, I will feel that all the queue'ing will have been totally worth it.

I look forward to that day.




No comments: