Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Room...

We are moving in 3 sleeps. That's actually just 2 days of packing left & I've just run out of boxes. It is amazing how many one needs for a move...

It has been a long time since I lived in my parent's house... I went to boarding school from age 14.5 which was my first big "solo" move - back and forth from Espin House with my big blue trunk. I still have dreams about packing my trunk - it would disappear to who-knows-where once unpacked at the beginning of term...and reappear magically at the entrance to the dorm room at the end of term - (or was it year end?) to prepare for home-going. Thinking back, it seems a bit like the Harry Potter arriving and leaving Hogwarts... how easy it is to  romanticise experiences when looking back!!

I went through so much in that room in my parents house. I fell in love for the first time... read letters from and wrote letters to my crushes... agonised about life, love and everything else with my best friend. I escaped here when I was feeling sad... read scary novels on my bed... cut out photographs and stuck them in my scrap book... recorded late night music on my tape recorder & listened to my collections until the tapes stretched...

I liked to move my room around once in a while - this mostly involved moving my bed to a different location within the room. I remember making changes late at night a few times when not being able to sleep. (I don't think that mom approved - especially when coming to wake me in the morning & things being different to how they were when she said good-night!) It was important for me that I could change things - make them my own in this small way. I must remember to allow my daughter to move her room around as she pleases one day too. ..and also remember that even though I am her mother, I will not always know what's best for her.

My parents have decided to make a move from life in our family home, and so they have put their house of 20+years on the market. Because I have not lived there for so long, I am not overly concerned about being sentimental that it won't be our family home any more. Our family home will be wherever my parents are - which, for the next chapter, will be their newly renovated lock-up-and-go flat in Mosselbay where we spent Summer holidays swimming in the sea, tanning on the beaches & walking through the streets on hot Summer nights (dodging cockroaches) with after-sun on our skin, the smell of the sea in our hair & ice-creams in our hands.

No comments: